If you or a loved one are under the age of 21 and have been charged with DWI, you may face huge penalties including fines and jail time. It is important to consider hiring an experienced DWI attorney to fight for you. Attorney Reuven J. Epstein, a DWI attorney in Rockland County and Orange County, NY is experienced in handling all types of DWI cases. At The Law Office of Reuven J. Epstein, we are committed to providing clients with an aggressive defense with professionalism and discretion.
Zero Tolerance Law in NY
If a person under the age of 21 is driving with a BAC between 0.02 and 0.07, it’s in violation of the Zero Tolerance law. If you are driving with a BAC between 0.05 and 0.08, you can be charged with DWAI (Driving With Ability Impaired). If you are driving with BAC of 0.08 or above, you may be charged with DWI (Driving While Intoxicated).
Penalties for Underage DWI
The penalties for underage DWI depend on the BAC level. The penalties for underage DWI include:
- If your BAC is 0.02 to 0.07, you may be ordered to appear at a DMV hearing. If convicted, your license may be suspended for 6 months and a $125 civil penalty and a $100 suspension termination fee.
- If your BAC is 0.02 to 0.07 and it is your second offense, your license may be revoked for one year or until you reach 21 whichever is longer. You may also face a $125 civil penalty and a $100 license re-application fee.
- If you have been charged with a DWAI, you may face jail time of up to 15 days, fines between $300-$500 and license revocation for one year.
- If you have been charged with a DWI, you may face jail time of up to one year, fines between $500 – $1000, and license revocation for one year.
- If you are under the age of 21 and refuse to take a chemical test, you may be subjected to a 1 year license revocation and a $125 civil penalty.
We, at the Law Office of Reuven J. Epstein, have years of experience handling alcohol related offenses in NY. We work hard to reduce your charges.
Looking for a DWI Attorney in Rockland County and Orange County, NY? Call us at 845-459-0002
With our 20 years of experience, you can rest easy knowing you’re getting expert legal representation for all of your needs. We provide affordable rates on all services, so you don’t have to spend a fortune. Our service locations include Spring Valley, Rockland County and Orange County, NY. Call us today at 845-459-0002 and schedule your free consultation and see what we can do for you!