Dec 11

What should I do if I am charged with a criminal offense?

Tags: ,

If you are charged with a criminal offense, remember the following pointers:

  • Cooperate with the police: This means that you should not retaliate with your arrest. Doing so may have a negative impact on your case.
  • Remain silent: Choose to exercise your constitutional right to remain silent. Whether at the police station or inside the police car, once you are charged with a criminal offense, it is in your best interest to remain silent. Anything you say may be recorded and may be used against you.
  • Ask for your attorney: Tell the police that you wish to talk with your attorney. When you do so, use clear and firm words such as “I want my attorney” or “I’m not answering questions without my lawyer.” As per the Law, you will have access to a phone through which you can call your attorney.
  • Be transparent with your attorney:There is a saying “ never hide anything from a doctor and a lawyer” and it is definitely for your good. Whether you are wrongly charged, or have committed the crime, let your lawyer know the truth so that he can do his best to get you out of the jail.

Being charged with a crime is a nightmare. However, if you are charged, stay clam and be wise in your decisions.

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn0Pin on Pinterest0

No comments yet.

Leave a Comment

7 − six =

reset all fields